Tuesday, March 7, 2017

book club experience

A few weeks ago, several friends started talking about starting a “middle-brow book club.” For context, I am the only person in this particular group who is not currently pursuing or already in possession of a doctoral degree in English literature. Unsurprisingly, English literature PhD students years deep into their studies commonly experience reading literature as ‘work’ instead of ‘pleasure.’ The idea behind this book club, one explained, was to focus on “middle-brow” literature that might allow them the opportunity to intentionally read books for leisure and discuss them casually with friends.

A month prior to the first meeting, we submitted suggestions for books to read and then, from those suggestions, voted on the first book. The winner was A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith. Initially, I had fully planned to read the book and to attend the book club as an active participant. However, other books got in the way, and, despite my best intentions, I attended the meeting as an observer.

Given the purpose and intent of this book club, our meeting was very relaxed. We met at one of our homes, and we each brought a snack or a drink to share. The atmosphere was very comfortable and open. The members of this group have known each other for years in a variety of capacities spanning the personal and the professional, and that sense of familiarity certainly added to the relaxed environment of the discussion.

There was no leader, but the friend who had introduced the idea of this book club served, in a way, as the facilitator for this first gathering. It was a relatively small group -- five people including myself. It was clear from the give-and-take flow of the discussion that these women shared common background and experiences critically engaging with literature. Admittedly, I was a little relieved that I hadn’t read the book and therefore didn’t feel pressure to contribute my own opinions to the conversation (though I do look forward to the challenge next time!).

The discussion itself went in many directions, veering away from and back to the book organically. Some of the participants may have come with specific questions in mind, but there was never a formal list of questions presented or consulted. Mostly, people worked their questions or ideas into the conversation, building on others’ comments and questions. 

6 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I found your choice of words “middle-brow book club” interesting. I would not consider the book A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith a middle-brow book. Some junior high schools consider it as one of the classic American novels and requires it as class readings. If I had to choose I would possibly consider Stephen King or James Patterson as middle-brow literature. However, I do not like to label books as high, middle, or even low brow. Is William Shakespeare and Charles Dickens highbrow? I have enjoyed some stories by both authors, but there are other stories they have written that I would not want to read again, because I did not enjoy it.

    As I write this I realize that it may be coming off that I am criticizing you. I am not. You just have made me think about these words as it relates to societies views on what is considered low, middle, or high-brow literature.

    I do not understand how having big words, written in old English, long drawn out descriptions, or other similar criteria allows certain stories to be viewed better than others on a cultural scale of importance. What are justified criteria for this scale? I do not know.

    I do know that I read a lot of graphic novels and really do not like it when people generalize the medium and say that these books are not real literature or they are aimed only at children. So, I do not want to label other stories as low, middle or high-brow based on preconceived ideas that I do not agree with.

    Thanks for making me contemplate and reflect on this topic.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob,

      Thanks for your comment! I'm realizing now, after I wrote this, that perhaps I had taken for granted or not thought a great deal about the term "middle-brow" in this context. I strongly suspect that the friend who gave this name to the book club was using it in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way to describe the kind of reading that we might tackle. Now that I'm thinking about it, I interpret the name as a way to playfully poke fun of the group as scholars of capital-L "Literature" who have lost their urge to read for pleasure. I'll have to ask about it!

      In any case, I agree with you that it's not useful to label books as high, middle, or low-brow. I think it's reductive and perpetuates existing and oppressive hierarchies of education, class, privilege, etc. -- especially when the distinction is made in order to elevate the "high-brow" and denigrate the "low-brow."

      Delete
  2. Hi Leah,
    I thought your comment about being relieved that you were just observing was funny :) I'd be a bit afraid of participating in that book club too - with everyone having doctoral degrees in English literature - yikes :) I like that there wasn't a formal list of questions,but instead it was a building process - giving and taking and flowing. That is a good way to approach a book discussion. In a library setting though (instead of a group of friends) I'd still want to have the formal list of questions - just in case the discussion didn't flow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved hearing the casual nature of your book club meeting because that's makes it most enjoyable. Friends can just gather for good conversations about books they are reading for pleasure so that they can a night off from studying literature and writing papers or dissertations about it. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed a relaxing night with a healthy discussion about the book, even though you had participated as an observer. I do agree with Jodi that, in a library setting, I would have a formal list of questions to ask patrons, on the off chance that conversation did not flow organically through the book club discussion. It never hurts to be prepared, but I'm glad that the conversation in the discussion happened naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leah! It's interesting that your book club was literally a group of friends talking about a book since that was the type of atmosphere I encountered when I attended a book club at my library. There was some miscommunication so I, along with the other new people, ended up reading the wrong book, so I completely understand where you are coming from when you said you were relieved you were just an observer. The way your book club's discussion went sounds similar to my experience as well. Even though we were given a list of questions about the book, the discussion somewhat took its own path.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful observations and write up! I too agree with Jodi, that would be intimidating to be around soo many english Phds!

    ReplyDelete